Skip to main content

14-year-old died of heart attack after participating in a spicy tortilla chip challenge

·1 min

The chief medical examiner’s office in Massachusetts has determined that a teenager died of a heart attack last September after consuming a tortilla chip containing a high concentration of a chemical compound found in chili peppers. The chip was part of the ‘One Chip Challenge’ by Paqui, which was voluntarily recalled following the incident. The chip was seasoned with the Carolina Reaper pepper and the Naga Viper pepper. The medical examiner confirmed that the cause of death was cardiopulmonary arrest due to ingesting a food substance with a high capsaicin concentration. The challenge was intended for adults and had clear warnings for those with sensitivity to spicy foods or underlying health conditions. The product has since been discontinued, and refunds are being offered to consumers who have uneaten bags.